The RSL evolved as a direct result of the camaraderie, concern and mateship shown by the “Diggers” for the welfare of their mates during and after the 1914-1918 war. That ethos of compassion and service remains today the motivating influence of the League.
The South Australia Branch was formed in 1916, and later came the formation of Sub-Branches within the suburbs and country towns of the State.
The first attempt to form a Sub-Branch at Brighton was in 1919. However this attempt proved short lived as it closed in 1921 with just 7 members.
It was not until 1st January 1935 that the Brighton, Seacliff and Marion Sub-Branch was reformed. This remained the name until 1945 when the annual return to Headquarters indicated that it had been altered to the Brighton Sub-Branch which has been retained to this day.
In 1935 the City of Brighton made available premises at 388 Brighton Rd, Hove as the clubroom of the Sub-Branch. This building was immediately next to the railway line at Hove. Built in 1869 as the first Brighton Town Hall the building had also been used as a Church and Masonic Lodge prior to becoming our home.
Over the years the clubroom was extended in all directions. Two houses adjacent on Brighton Road were purchased by the Sub-Branch in 1964 and a bowling green was established on the land for the benefit of members. In 1973 land to the east of the building, belonging to the Brighton Council was converted to a second smaller bowling green. A car park between the clubroom and the railway was completed in 1995.
With an aging membership the early years of this century were a period of great change. The Sub-Branch’s male and female bowling clubs in particular were severely affected and it was no longer viable to field teams in the Bowls SA pennant competitions.
In 2005 negotiations with the Brighton Bowling Club began with a view to the future. After prolonged discussion between the Sub-Branch, the Bowling Club and the City of Holdfast Bay it was agreed that the two clubs would become joint tenants in the premises of the Brighton Bowling Club at 11-13 Keelara St, Brighton. The building there was completely refurbished and extended with the two clubs sharing the cost. Both moved into their new home on Tuesday 10 June 2008 and the official opening ceremony was on September 14.